Dokioto's first full PC build!(post your sytems!!)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Dokioto, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ultimakillz

ultimakillz Administrator Staff Member

i know cuda. im no expert but i took it in college (it was my last course and i received an A :cool:) its extremely interesting but you need to have a good understanding of parallel programming practices which was difficult for me since i had only studied linear programming.
  2. Ixulescu

Ixulescu Member

Well because the ATi Drivers su#k donkey ba||s and the shear performance is much better on NVIDIA's side in these apps.

On the other hand, the power consumption favours ATi products, depends on your power bill what you choose here.

I`ll go for a new series NVIDIA and keep this 9800GTX+ as a PPU (PhysX Processing Unit). But that after the prices will drop further.

ultimakillz, I`d really appreciate it if you could mail some of the stuff you learned in college (written courses and stuff like that). It`s always easier to get a jump start from school materials, me myself had to print some of my 7 year old biophysics notes to re-learn biostatistics :D
  3. ultimakillz

ultimakillz Administrator Staff Member

the "cuda zone" is where we got most of our tools: toolkit, programming guide, etc.
    What is CUDA?

programming guide:
    http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/3_/toolkit/docs/NVIDIA_CUDA_ProgrammingGuide.pdf

we coded, compiled, & ran everything in visual studio 2008 since the language is based on c (they call it cuda c), but im sure you could use and ide you wanted. on a side note, if you are a student and want free versions of visual studio, visual c#, visual c++, etc. check out https://www.dreamspark.com/ you need a valid college email address though, but its a really good deal if you do.

other than that, most of the the work we did was analyze programs written by this "world leading" cuda/parallel programmer, so a lot of it was theoretical, which is just as difficult as programming it imo. most of the code we wrote was to do simple things, like add two arrays and stuff like that, except in parallel ;)

sorry if we're taking this offtopic, but damn its interesting.....
  4. Dokioto

Dokioto Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind, post anything computer-ish in this thread:p
    Good read
  5. Ixulescu

Ixulescu Member

Unfortunately I`m not a student anymore, but my paychecks look like they`re for a student doing some summer job :D So I`ll take advantage of a cousin of mine who`s still a student and see how I can manage. :)

CUDA is extremely powerful at a first glance, I just hope I can assess whether the 9800GTX+ is or not faster than the Xeon I got in compiling/executing the code, so I`ll know which way to go.

Programming these days is like an iceberg, you can barely scratch the surface by researching it on your own but the rewards are impressive. The fact I`m not a programmer with a license is not helping either, I just try and keep up with my current proff and learn stuff as I go.

The chap that said that sometimes you have to learn how to fly before you learn how to walk was not wrong after all :D
  6. Dokioto

As most of you know my computer has been down for the last few weeks because of a dead PSU- In the meantime I figured I would "mod" my desk a bit.

We will call this the before pic (page 2 of this thread)- I also drew out my plan for your enjoyment:p
    http://img63.imageshack.us/i/oldkl.jpg

All I really wanted to do was knock out that shelf so my computer could have a more permanent home and mount those speakers up higher on the "walls" of the desk.
    I also cleaned up that horrible wire mess.

After the help of a really large hammer, some wood putty, and a lil' paint that shelf was gone:)
    The speakers had to be taken apart and a little drilling was needed but overall the end product looked nice. What do you guys think?
    http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/83kiuy05/sany0055tl.jpg
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/396ut60/sany0053g.jpg

Better then it was (pictures seem to be removed from the hosting site :|)
  7. NBTheKing

NBTheKing Banned

I highly don't recommend you use Windows Vista Home Basic, if your going to use an OS you better use for now Linux, and I highly recommend Ubuntu for now, until you can get Win 7 Premium which is much better and it actually uses the Ram for work.
  8. Dokioto

Are you talking to me? I run Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu now..
    This thread was created a long time ago and Vista is all I had access to.

I needed a Windows OS so Ubuntu wasn't an option.
    In fact windows 7 wasn't generally availability when I first posted this:rolleyes:

Please read the whole thread before posting..
  9. NBTheKing

NBTheKing Banned

Oh then that's something I didn't know, so how's the computer going... I was about create one at $800 with a Friend who studying at the moment computer engineering and he can get most of the items at a lower price.
  10. Dokioto

Computers doing great since I received a new PSU a few days ago-
    I wired it up so much better then I had it- I'll post pics one of these days.
  11. Dokioto

12. Ixulescu

Ixulescu Member

Nice going man, really tidy in there now :)

I did some upgrades myself, but gonna post the pics next week when I receive 4 more GB of RAM :D
  13. Dokioto

I like it a lot better :p What are you going to use with another 4GB of Ram!! I don't think I have ever used more then 3, but the most intense programs I have run are Crysis/Photoshop.
  14. Ixulescu

Ixulescu Member

3D Studio Max, Maya, Autocad, Adobe Premiere, etc. Trust me, 4 are not enough for that :)
  15. Dokioto

The joys of upgrading :)
    [​IMG]

I had it decently over-clocked but a few hundred MHz to high on the memory clock crashed it. It almost causing it to brick, luckily windows saved the day.
    950/1300 seems (notice clock/default clock on img.) to be the best I can do without crashing/artifacts- I'm sure I could even get more out of it if I unlock the voltage but i'm happy with it.

The only thing that I can really complain about is the fan- On auto the fan never reaches speeds up to 50% as the card stays cool, but if you do max the fan out it sounds like a damn leaf blower :p If it keeps it cool, can i really complain?

Dirt 2 looks amazing :p Will post picks of it in the case, way bigger then my now old 4830.

Next up- Crossfire and a SSD? :) (PSU should prob/ be on that list)
  16. Dokioto

Finally just ordered a real DVD drive :p The external USB drive just isn't cutting it anymore.
    22X SATA drive should be much faster-

Edit: DVD drive came in and is installed! woot
  17. Ixulescu

Ixulescu Member

Grats! :)

Just so you know, PC components can`t "brick". All lockups due to overclocking are reversable by rebooting/restarting/power-off-PSU-and-restart and in the end BIOS reset if those don`t cut it ;)

What PSU are you packing atm? SSD is not a choice for upgrade atm imho, you should try first RAID 0, I`m quite ok with this atm.

Damn camera is still out of batteries, will post pics soon :)
  18. Dokioto

Obviously you can re-set it one way or another (windows did it for me), but befor you do it is basically a brick:p Maybe I should use a different set of words lol

I'm using a crappy 600Watt psu by NZXT.

I really don't know squat about Raid 0- Isn't that were you use more then one drive and it somehow works faster? Google time :p
  19. qwerty123

qwerty123 Elite Member

Woah 9GB ram is that even real ?
  20. Dokioto

Easy one- 5770 :p I wish

I really have no idea, but the best of the best as far as graphics power would probably be a multi card setup.

GTS 450 (i think) is coming soon.. Probably be top dog

Edit: He seemed to edit his post? :S