How to install homebrew apps and plugins

Discussion in 'PSP Tutorials' started by Organized_Chaos, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Organized_Chaos

Organized_Chaos Senior Member

[Newb Friendly] How to install homebrew apps and plugins

How to install Homebrew apps, games and plugins on your PSP.

Table of Contents
    Introduction
    Installing Homebrew Games/Applications
    Installing Plugins
    Links to download homebrew

Introduction
    I am writing this guide so I don't have to keep explaining this to people in the help section on PSP-Hacks. Feel free to link people to this is it is a common problem on this site ;).
    This guide will assume you already have custom firmware installed on your PSP. If you don't have custom firmware on your PSP then check out the Mega-Thread for a tutorial on how to do that. This guide also assumes you understand how to use a computer and that you know what the root of the memory stick is. Show the spoiler below if you don't know. I am making this tutorial as easy to understand as possible. If you get confused by something re-read it again. Try to do exactly what I say on your PSP and if it doesn't work then send me a PM or reply to this with your problem.
    Imagine your memory stick is a file cabinet. Inside the file cabinet are folders which may contain other folders or individual files. When you open the file cabinet, before your open any other file or folder, you will be at the root. ms0:\ is another way to say root.

Let's say you have a folder inside your file cabinet named PSP. Inside that folder you have another folder called GAME. That would be expressed as ms0:\PSP\GAME\ or sometimes just \PSP\GAME\.

On a windows computer the memory stick will receive a drive letter. Your computer already has a drive for the main hard drive (usually C:\ or D:\) and a DVD drive (D:\ or E:\). The PSP's drive letter can be anything that isn't being used. Normally that would be F:\ or G:\ or H:\ or I:\ but it could be anything. The PSP\GAME\ folder would show up as X:\PSP\GAME\ on your computer.

Installing homebrew games and applications
    When you download a homebrew application it will typically be in an archived file format. This varies but is usually .zip, .rar, .7z. Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 comes with a built in unzipper that will unzip a normal .zip file. But for the other two files you will need WinRAR or 7-zip. I prefer using 7-zip.

When you open a file using 7-zip the window will look similar to this:
    [​IMG]

Select all of the files and click 'extract'. Then click the button to the right of the destination address and select a folder you want to use. I prefer using Documents or Desktop for mine.
    [​IMG]

My example is actually a firmware upgrade but it's very similar to a normal homebrew app. I have a folder named RECOVERY and inside that is an EBOOT.PBP file. All homebrew applications and games will have one (1) folder and inside that folder will be an EBOOT.PBP file. There might be other files and folders in there and the eboot file will need them to function. You copy that entire folder to ms0:\PSP\GAME\. So it will look like this: ms0:\PSP\GAME\somehomebrewapp\eboot.pbp. If there is more than one folder (like this: \PSP\GAME\folder1\folder2\homebrewapp\eboot.pbp) then you need to copy the folder out of folder 1 and 2 and paste it into the GAME folder like in my example above.

If you did that correctly, when you turn your PSP on you can now go to the Games section on your PSP, scroll down to Memory Stick, press X, and you'll see your games and apps.
    Emulators are installed in the same way as homebrew apps and games are. After all, emulators are homebrew apps. You just need to read the Readme file to find out where to put the ROMS.

1.50 Kernel Homebrew Apps and Games
    Some older homebrew apps might look like this: [​IMG]. If it has two folders and one has a % in it then you know it was made for the 1.50 kernel. It comes in this format because of the way the KXploit works (the method to load homebrew on a 1.50 OFW PSP). These homebrew apps can only be used on a phat PSP (PSP1000). If you have a phat PSP and you want to use these then you need 5.00 M33 CFW with the 1.50 kernel addon. Download the addon and copy the 150k_installer folder to your \PSP\GAME folder. Run the installer from PSP just like you would start any other homebrew app. See the above section if you don't know how to do that.

Now when you restart your PSP you can hold down the R button and enter the Recovery Menu to change the kernel modes. Click Configure and then go down to where it says "Game folder hombrew (currently 5.xx kernel)" and click that. It will toggle the kernel mode and allow you to play with old homebrew. You would then copy the two files to the \PSP\GAME\ folder and then start the app from the PSP like any other homebrew app.

I also think you can remain on the 5.xx kernel in the recovery menu and copy the 1.50 kernel homebrew to the \PSP\GAME150\ folder and play it that way. I would like someone else to confirm this for me though as I cannot remember if that is the way it works.

According to Oyabun, kxploited homebrew ([​IMG]) will load on a 5.00 M33 slim using LEDA 0.2 or eloader, or a 5.50 GEN slim using eloader. You can read more about that here.

Plugins
    Plugins are essentially homebrew applications that run in the background and add extra functionality. A few examples I can think of right now: fusascr.prx and dayviewer.prx. Fusascr.prx allows you to take a screenshot of your PSP anytime, anywhere and dayviewer allows you to modify the text where the date and time go.

Plugins go in a folder called seplugins. This folder is on the root of your PSP (see above if you don't know what the root is). A plugin file has a file extension of .prx. These prx files go directly into the seplugins folder. You will also see vsh.txt, game.txt, and pops.txt files in the seplugins folder. If not you can create them and leave them empty until you need to update them.

The txt files will include lines such as these:
    ms0:/SEPLUGINS/fusascr.prx 0
    ms0:/SEPLUGINS/dayviewer.prx 1
    If there is a 0 after the plugin name then the plugin is turned off, if there is a 1 after it, the plugin is turned on. If there is no number after it then the plugin is turned off. Most plugins you download will come with the required text files. I recommend opening those text files and copying the contents to the text files you already have on your PSP.
    If you just copy the files from the new plugin you downloaded and replace the files in your seplugins you will lose the functionality of the old plugins until you replace the missing lines.

Homebrew Links
    Homebrew Games
    Homebrew Applications
    Emulators
    Plugins

Here's a short list of emulators
    gpSP- A Gameboy Advance emulator. You'll need to search Google for a gba bios. Since that's copyrighted material we can't host it or link it to you here.
    PSPMame- Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator… All those Capcom, SEGA, SNK, Technos, Tecmo, Konami, Namco classics you played at your local arcade are now available on your PSP.
    Jum52- The Atari 5200 emulator. The Atari was 5200 was released in 1982. This short-lived bad boy came after the Atari 2600 and before the 7800. So experience it for the first time or relive the joy that was the Atari 5200.
    EmuMaster- Formally known as MasterBoy, EmuMaster emulates the Nintendo Game Boy and Sega Master System & Game Gear.
    NesterJ- A Nintendo Entertainment System emulator.
    s9xTYLmecm 091101- A Super Nintendo emulator.
    Atari800 PSP v2.1.0.1- Not only does it emulate the Atari 800; you get the Atari 800XL, 130XE and 5200 too
    Yabause 0.9.10- the SEGA Saturn emulator for your PlayStation Portable. Now before you get all excited you should know a few things: 1. (Quoted from the readme) PSP support for Yabause is experimental; please be aware that some things may not work well (or at all), and in particular there’s no configuration interface yet. 2. You must obtain the SEGA Saturn BIOS yourself; a simple Google Search will turn that up. 3. You need a PSP-2000 (Slim) or later; Yabause needs the extra ram.
    Daedalus- Nintendo 64 emulator. It's a little buggy (and this might not be the latest release) but the games that do work are tons of fun.

The End
    I think that covers everything I need this tutorial to cover. If a plugin or homebrew app requires more specific details or a unique installation proccess it will probably be detailed in the readme.txt file downloaded with the app/plugin.
    ON3i11 likes this.
  2. Organized_Chaos

Organized_Chaos Senior Member

I know the links in this guide go to PSP-Hacks (that's my home) and if that's a problem a moderator or admin can update them to point to files hosted on pspslimhacks.com instead. I just ask that the file or page it links to be equivalent to the original link.
  3. ON3i11

ON3i11 You can call me O'Neill.

*thumbup*

GREAT TuT!!! *THUMBUP*
  4. skyend

skyend pWning n00bz since 1245 Staff Member

Thats nice....will save us from typing it again & again ;)
  5. Serbian slayer

Serbian slayer Member

i know everything of this..

(sticky) and add to title of thread NOOB Friendly or Newbies Friendly :)