[Tutorial] Using your PC Monitor as your PSP's screen (with remoteJoy)

Discussion in 'PSP Tutorials' started by Dokioto, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Dokioto

Dokioto Moderator Staff Member

Note: It has come to my attention that this tutorial is way out of date as of now and needs to be updated- I don't have the time, but will get it done some day. If you know all there is to know about remote joy and want to give a helping hand to the community feel free to PM me.
    ---------------------------------------

There seems to be more and more people out there trying to use remote joy and are having problems so I thought I might as well re-make my old tutorial..

What is RemoteJoy?
    In brief RemoteJoy is an old plugin that enables you to use your PC monitor to view your PSP's screen and/or control your PSP with a keyboard.

Things to note:
    This will not work with Mac or Linux (without the use of another program) operating systems as well with older/outdated PC's. I have personally tested this with PCs running Windows XP and one with Windows Vista 32 bit (all have ran fine). This will not run well if at all on Vista 64 bit.

You will need a PSP with CFW. 5.00 M33-6 and the Custom Firmware Enablers do work. I still don't know if this will works with any type of Gen firmware, but I will find out. (if some one could clarify and message me there will be karma given ;)).

For this tutorial I will be using Windows Vista 32 bit and a PSP slim running 5.00 M33-6.
    (trying to make it noob friendly)

First, Download Here.
    Once you've extract the archive you should see these three files
    [​IMG]

Click on PSP_Type_B_driver (to install the necessary driver to your computer)......
    This screen should come up
    [​IMG]

Click Next..

[​IMG]
    Accept & next (might as well read it).

It will then install the driver.
    [​IMG]

Now we need to install the plugin for the psp. This is extremely simple (like the everything els lol) because of the easy installer.
    Go back to the original three files and click on RemoteJoyLight application.

[​IMG]
    (the application tells you everything, but for the slower people.....)
    At this time you should plug your psp into your computer. Click browse in the easy installer and find the drive for your psp and push "Install". If you have never installed a plugin before you will be fine but if you have it will ask to remove your existing vsh.txt and game.txt. Hit "No to All" when it pops up and manually go to your seplugins folder and add this line to both of them:
    ms0:/seplugins/remotejoylite.prx 1

Now Enable the plugins and connect your psp to your computer. It will now tell you it is installing a driver, so let it do its thing. When it's done this will pop up in the lower right hand corner of your screen:
    [​IMG]

If your running XP, a window will pop up, but just do as it says and you will be fine.

Now go back to the original three files and click on the RemoteJoylight folder and launch the application
    [​IMG]

You should now have a little window opened with your psp screen on it, good job.
    There are a few more things you can do with it, but it's getting late so I will post it up a little later. If anyone finds something wrong send me a message (as I did it fast) ;)

Download Here.
    Lagging likes this.
  2. Dokioto

One thing a lot of people don't know is you can Use Remote Joy to contol your psp with a keyboard.

When you have RemoteJoy opened on your computer right click on it and a screen will come up.
    [​IMG]
    Go to "KEY" and you can choose what key does what (you will get it).
    Don't forget to select the "Enable Key input" box and Save.

I think you might be able to record videos with RemoteJoy but it's far easier to just use a descent screen recorder such as Snagit or HyperCam. This way you can get some really nice quality videos.

Example:
    Youtube makes it look a LOT worse then it is lol
    Mr.RevhAckez likes this.
  3. al-qarni

al-qarni New Member

Great Guide
    + Karma

Didnt bother reading the whole guide, since i already know how to use it.
    I have a question. Does this easy installer, add
    ms0:/seplugins/remotejoylite.prx 1 to VSH.txt and game.txt automatically, or do you have to do it manually?
  4. Dokioto

It does if you don't care to replace your older text files.. Other wise you manually add it.
  5. Vmurph

Vmurph Elite Member

Awesome guide! (+Karma) I'm adding this to my tutorial bookmarks folder. :nerd:
    ----

EDIT: I'm sure readers would love to see this in the tutorials section...or at least stickied :)
  6. Dokioto

LoLs...
    I might as well move it to the tutorials section as it is a tutorial.
  7. 3001

3001 Member

any news for Gen A? havin trouble with it cuz Gen A doesn't have a seplugins folder.. or does it? great guide by the way :)
  8. AVG

AVG New Member

why dont you use Custom Firmware Enabler ? ....

i just tried this n it works for me , and i have a ta-088v3 board running cfw enabler.
  9. Dokioto

I would think Gen A would have a seplugins folder (make one?).
    To be honest I don't know jack about Gen... Don't really need it.

No one has sent me a message yet...
  10. bubbachuck

bubbachuck New Member

I haven't installed the USB driver on the computer yet, but when I used the RemoteJoyLite installer for the PSP (3000, ChickHen R2, CFWEnabler 3.6), it says "ERROR! Not plugins detected."

Oh and the installer doesn't add the "1" at the end even if its new files.

EDIT: sry I meant to say when I try to enable the plugin via CFWEnabler 3.60 it gives that error message, but I see now that just adding the "1" to game.txt and vsh.txt in the seplugins folder should enable the plugin...then to "refresh" the PSP so it knows that you made these changes, go to the XMB->Games and run CFWEnabler again
  11. Dokioto

Were does it say "ERROR"... I don't understand.

The installer doesn't add the 1, so you need to enable it yourself.
    If you add a 1 to the end you will not need to enable the plugin later.
  12. s.snk3

s.snk3 New Member

thanks, works perfectly.

bubbachuck, i also have cfwe 3.60 and it doesnt matter that gives you an error when you go to plugins, still works.
  13. Dokioto

Here is a quick video I edited together using remotejoy.

Youtube made it look a lot worse then it did but you get the idea.
  14. BooYah

BooYah New Member

Hi! Im having a problem with this one, it just freeze my PSP then after a few sec. my psp shuts down... what do you think the problem is?

This happens when I execute the "RemoteJoyLite_en.exe" :(
  15. Dokioto

What type of psp do you have?
    Be for you plug in your psp right click on the RemoteJoy screen (it should be black with a "Waiting" in the top right corner and open up the PSP tab.

The first thing you see should be Transfer type. I have a Slim and it seems Type 2 works. Keep trying different setting until it works for you.

That's all I can think of.
  16. BooYah

BooYah New Member

I have PSP3K. and my PC is running on XP SP2 and i know for sure that my computer is not that old... okay Ill give that Change the Type thinggy a shot! ;)
  17. BooYah

BooYah New Member

Still... don't work for me.. :( I tried Type0 to Type3. what else can I try? :(
  18. al-qarni

al-qarni New Member

When you try Remote joy and start it on the pc at first. It should install PSP USB type B.
  19. bubbachuck

bubbachuck New Member

exact same thing happens to me...after I install PSP Type B and enable the plugins then start the *.exe, PSP freezes and shuts down.

EDIT: not sure which one solved the problem, but I restarted my computer and also used the device drivers from the file linked from here http://www.playonmove.com/v2-install-remotejoy-lite/. That ended up working for me.
  20. BooYah

BooYah New Member

Hi guys! Tnx for all the help, I manage to get it working now ;) I just change the "Transer sys address" and it works! tnx again! lol